This program that contains all of the processes of fashion design will allow you to improve your visual skills by combining them with technology and you will follow the developments in the fashion industry and have an idea about the collection-industry association with various research methods you will learn.
5 Month (360 Hours)
Day and Time
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
09:30 – 16:30
Applicants are invited to attend an interview for admission. According to the National Education Ministry Law 5580, participants must hold at least a secondary education degree.
- You will learn drawing techniques in theory and practice,
- You will learn about the design development and application, collection planning and development methods.
- You will have a good command of draping, pattern and sowing techniques,
- You will attain a knowledge base about fashion marketing,
- You will attain Photoshop and Illustrator knowledge and application skills,
- You will experience being a corporate designer under a real brand with an industry project you will design,
- You will attain the ability to make designs from the perspective of a real designer with a designer project,
- You will create your own collection, and
- You will create a wide communication network in the industry.
- Those who are not experienced in fashion design and want to establish his/her own brand,
- Those who wish to work as a fashion designer in a corporate environment and
- Those who are working in the fashion and textile industry and want to specialize on fashion design.
- Fashion designer,
General Fashion Culture: Fashion, textile and trend concepts are reviewed, a knowledge base is given on design cycle and processes.
- Fashion Culture: Fashion history, periods, key fashion players and today's fashion
- Dynamics of the fashion industry and fashion calendar
- Fashion weeks and capitals
- Fashion terminology: Concepts used in the fashion industry
Drawing techniques: In this module, participants learn about drawing principles and perform hand drawings and technics. A knowledge base is given on figure drawing based on human anatomy and movements, using light with different materials, color harmonies and transferring fabric textures on paper with painting techniques.
- Drawing exercises (figure and texture pattern drawing)
- Illustrative drawing
- Technical drawing
- Preparing technical leaflet
- Clothing models
- Drawing a collection
Design Development and Application: In this module, participants will have the ability to comprehend concept research and inspirational design ideas. The research supports design processes, collect informatios and materials to learn to develop ideas for design processes.They gain competence in presenting and implementing ideas.
- Design process
- General knowledge on fibers and fabrics
- Different fabric types
- Keeping a visual diary
- Creating story, color and fabric panels
Collection Planning and Development: In this module, participants learn about collection planning methods and how to create a collection based on a designated theme.
- Trend research
- Design process development
- Selection of target market
- Preparing sketchbook, moodboard
- Creating a collection
- Fabric and material selection related to the collection
- Application techniques
Skirt Project: With an introduction to the design research methods collection, the participants analyse the design perception and structure and create skirt forms inspired by geometric shapes and architect structures.
- Analysis of design perception and structure
- Fashion trends and runway analysis
- Design development, design research processes and creating a mood board
- Skirt structures and forms
- Using geometric shapes and architectural structures
- Developing a creative skirt shapes
- Basic draping techniques
- Transferring a 2D idea to 3D
Pattern and Sewing Techniques: Participants learn about pattern cutting and model development techniques, how to create a 2-D pattern and prepare a prototype, trial and sewing techniques.
- Introduction to pattern cutting techniques
- Basic skirt pattern
- Pleat, dart techniques on a skirt pattern
- Sewing techniques
- Sewing machine exercises
- Basic skirt pattern cutting and sowing techniques
- Zipper installation apparatus and sewing techniques
Fashion Marketing: In this module, the operation of the fashion industry, marketing principles, target audience analysis, positioning, market research methods, coordination of design and method teams and related topics are explained.
- Introduction to marketing
- Strategic marketing
- SWOT analysis
- Brand information
- Industry analysis
- Consumer analysis
Photoshop and Illustrator: Participants lean how to create designs in digital environment and present them in a visually effective way with Photoshop and Illustrator programs. They learn about the tools of both programs by considering the difference in use and operating principles of the pixel-based Photoshop and vector-based Illustrator programs. They create professional drawing leaflets that contain detailed, artistic and technical drawings.
- Developing competence in design and drawing with computer programs
- Creating a collection theme
- Preparing story and color boards
- Pattern/print works
- Preparing color variants
- Making designs and creating a visual archive with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Painting and effect applications
- Portfolio creation
With this project, the participants learn how to see the fashion industry as a designer. It is implemented to experience how to be a brand designer and they experience to work with a real design brief. Participants experience the process from design to production and sales with the guidance of the industry professionals and designers. Participants learn to create a moodboard, skecthbook and line-up, to do fabric research and also experience how to transfer an idea from 2-D to 3-D by a series of drawings, samples, and trials in a design process.
Final Collection and Portfolio
It allows participants to develop and realize their designs to create a final portfolio based on the inspirations they select independently. At the end of the program, projects and final collections prepared during the training are presented to the jury of Istanbul Moda Academy.